Wednesday 21 March 2012

Review: Delirium


Book: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publication Date: February 2011
Pages: 441


Summary (From Good Reads) :

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

My Thoughts:

First of all I must say: My Goodness the ending of this book.
I rated Delirium 5 stars on Good Reads just for the ending. The last 20 pages were amazing none stop action, the last two pages of the book was some of the best writing I have ever read in my whole entire life. It made me cry all of a sudden I was so shocked by the ending and the beautiful reading that I burst into tears. My Mum was laughing at me!

HOWEVER. I thought that the rest of the book was quite boring. Like it lacked pace. Maybe Lauren Oliver did that so the ending would smack you in the face but there was many times when I was reading it that I nearly gave up. And there were bits that reminded me of Twilight which in my opinion is NOT A GOOD THING! I thought Alex was a really cute character and Lena was kinda sweet, but she thought too much. There was never a point in the conversation where it was just dialogue. Like there is a point when Lena is talking to Alex and she is literally moving all the time. Running her hand through her hair,licking her lips nervously, pawing the ground and she analyses Alex's movements like a bloody psychologist. Also the descriptions lagged on a bit; I admit they were beautifully executed and some of the metaphors were lovely but I found it dragged on.


But the whole concept, the premise of the book really grabbed me. I really felt utter despair for Lena with the procedure looming ahead and her trapped. I kept thinking imagine if this was real, what on earth would I do.


All in all I think that the book was written beautifully but it lacked the necessary pace to grab me until like the last 20 pages. 


Food Rating: 3/5
Page Rating: 6.5/8





No comments:

Post a Comment